Digital technologies are driving unparalleled innovations in all sectors of society. With almost 96 per cent of the population in Asia and the Pacific now covered by mobile broadband and with the COVID-19 pandemic propelling the speed of digital transformations, these now underpin many aspects of societal development. These digital transformations are reshaping both social interactions and national economies. In this new development paradigm, people are not just consumers of products and services but also, through their social networks, creating value and developing previously unheard-of products and services. Such development goes beyond the digitalization of goods and services; it represents an irreversible transformation of socioeconomic structures However, the ensuing changes brought about by these digital transformations, may also intensify pre-existing socioeconomic divides. It is therefore imperative to ensure that all segments of the population and all countries can benefit from digital technologies innovations and that no one is left behind.
Against this background, the Digital Innovations Fair, at the eightieth session of the Commission, will provide a space to engage with a broad range of partners and stakeholders to showcase digital innovations that are advancing the Sustainable Development Goals in an inclusive way across the development spectrum of the region.
The Digital Innovations Fair will support discussions on the theme of the session “Leveraging digital innovation for sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific”. The exhibition should focus on at least one of the following areas at the regional, sub-regional, national or subnational level: a) digital-driven innovations that contribute to the achievement or accelerate implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals; b) digital-driven innovations for sustainable development that are inclusive or foster greater inclusion of marginalized people; c) initiatives that create an enabling environment to leverage digital innovations for sustainable development.
The fair will be held during the session of the Commission, from 22 to 26 April. On Wednesday, 24 April 2024, from 14.00-17.00 hours, participants will have the opportunity to interact with the exhibitors at the fair who will be able to present or showcase their initiatives. All participants attending the session of the Commission will be invited to visit the fair throughout the week.
The fair will be held in the United Nations Conference Centre, Bangkok.
Criteria for submitting proposals
• Members and associate members of the Commission, permanent observers to ESCAP or other UN Member States interested in showcasing a solution at the Digital Innovations Fair during the 80th session of the Commission can submit a proposal to set up a “Country Booth”. Each “Country Booth” may showcase initiatives led by government, private sector, local authorities, non-governmental organizations or other stakeholders.
• Proposals may also be submitted by UN entities, intergovernmental organizations, non-governmental organizations in general consultative status, private sector, local authorities or other stakeholders invited to the Commission. UN entities submitting joint proposal are invited to set up a booth under the UN pavilion.
• The proposal should contribute to theme and focus areas outlined in the guidelines.
• Organizers are invited to involve multiple organizing partners in order to allow the participation of as many organizations as possible.
• Proposals will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis, and proposals received after the deadline will not be considered.
• Organizers are encouraged to use interactive and engaging means to present their solutions.
• The fair will be open to all participants attending the Commission. On Wednesday, 24 April 2024, from 14.0017.00 hours participants will have the opportunity to interact with the exhibitors at the fair who will be able to present or showcase their solutions.
Link to submit proposals
• To submit proposals the following online form should be completed [https://forms.office.com/e/5THerPHkxr] by Friday, 15 March 2024.
Responsibility of organizers
• Organizers will be fully responsible for all aspects of their booth, including arranging outreach and any related logistics or costs.
• The secretariat will publicize the fair but will not produce fliers or run other publicity efforts for particular initiatives.
• In using United Nations premises, due respect must be maintained for the dignity of the Organization. Events and exhibits must be consistent with the purposes and principles of the United Nations and must be non-commercial in nature. The managing entity reserves the right to reject booking requests, request change to materials presented for approval or cancel previously authorized bookings should it determine that an event or exhibit is not consistent with the foregoing.
• The content of events or exhibits shall be the sole responsibility of their sponsor or sponsors, and any questions or concerns pertaining to meetings, conferences, events or exhibits should be referred to the sponsor or sponsors.
• All queries related to Digital Innovations Fair should be addressed to Ms. Madina Tlenchiyeva, Associate Expert, Office of the Executive Secretary, at [email protected], with a copy to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected].